Palazzo Petrangeli, via Roma 28 Bagnoregio VT | Tel: 380.7626671 | info@discovertuscia.it

Castiglione in Teverina

The diVino village overlooks the Tevere Valley and is surrounded by prestigious vineyards.
The area has been inhabited for thousands of years, with obvious traces of both Etruscan and Villanovan, but the founding of the town specifically dates back, roughly, to the year 1000 a.C.. Castiglione’s history is closely linked to that of the historic struggle between Guelph Orvieto and Ghibelline Viterbo, being considered by both sides as a very important strategic point.
In 1351 the village, which had naturally developed around the castle built by the Monaldeschi family, was forced to expand abruptly: Berardo di Corrado Monaldeschi della Cervara destroyed the castle of nearby Paterno, welcoming refugees into the countryside and using the castle stones as building material.
Just a century later, in 1487, the last member of the Monaldeschi della Cervara married a member of the Savelli family, triggering the wrath of the Monaldeschi della Vipera, who opposed the castle’s transfer to a Ghibelline family in a dispute that ended in 1583 with the Savelli relinquishing the fiefdom.
The Farnese acquired it, annexing it to the Duchy of Castro, in which it remained for just fifty years: in 1637 the population, evidently exasperated by the constant changes of master, managed to redeem the town for 20,000 scudi and guarantee it a long period of relative tranquility, until it found itself involved in the chaotic period of the Risorgimento: beginning in 1860 and then for the next ten years it remained right on the border between the Kingdom of Italy and the Papal States until its annexation to the kingdom just 2 days before the taking of Porta Pia on September 18, 1870.

Since the post-World War II period, the area has invested more and more in the development of wineries, so much so that it can boast as many as 9 renowned labels: Fattoria della Madonna delle Macchie, Trampolini, Azienda Agricola Biologica Trebotti, Azienda Agricola Tenuta la Pazzaglia, Azienda Agricola Papalino, Azienda Agricola il Bottaccio, Azienda Agricola Doganieri Miyazaki and finally Paolo and Noemi D’Amico.
Attention to hospitality has also been expressed in the founding of the important Alta Scuola di Formazione di Sala Intrecci, owned by the Cotarella family.

Places to visit

Muvis Wine Museum

Muvis Wine Museum

The "Museum of Wine and Agri-food Sciences" is the largest museum complex of its kind in Europe, boasting more than 2,000 m² of exhibition space. It is located in the heart of the village of Castiglione in Teverina, a member of the National Association of "Wine...

read more
Church of Madonna delle Macchie

Church of Madonna delle Macchie

Slightly set back from the town of Castiglione in Teverina, right on the road to Orvieto, its main church façade is divided into three fields and surmounted by a cornice tympanum. Adjacent stands a bell gable with an authentic bell still in working order. Inside you...

read more
Church of Saints Filippo and Giacomo

Church of Saints Filippo and Giacomo

The church of Saints Filippo and Giacomo occupies a prominent, if isolated, place on the eastern side of Piazza Maggiore, right in the historic core of Castiglione in Teverina. A magnificent example of 16th-century architecture, it has an aedicule façade, as well as a...

read more

Church of Our Lady of the Snow

The main facade of this magnificent building, is its distinguishing feature. Upon arrival, the first thing one notices is the imposing marble portal, surmounted by the inscription: A.D. MDVIIII, which places its origin in the 16th century. The portal was further...

read more

Pin It on Pinterest