Palazzo Petrangeli, via Roma 28 Bagnoregio VT | Tel: 380.7626671 | info@discovertuscia.it

Diocesi di Viterbo

The Diocese of Viterbo comprises 35 municipalities in Tuscia Viterbese, including Bagnoregio, Bolsena, Castiglione in Teverina, Celleno, Graffignano, and Vitorchiano. It is divided into 99 parishes with more than 300 churches. The seat of the diocese is in medieval Viterbo, in the Palazzo Papale, a 12th-century building famous for being the place where the cardinals, in 1268, elected the Pope in the first and longest modern conclave. The monumental complex, the religious and artistic heart of the city, also includes the Romanesque Cathedral of San Lorenzo and the modern Colle del Duomo Museum in a striking setting enclosed by the famous Loggia delle Benedizioni.

Places to visit

Church of the Gonfalone in Viterbo

Church of the Gonfalone in Viterbo

Its real name would be Church of St. Giovanni Battista, but for all the people of Viterbo it is simply the Church of the Gonfalone because it was erected for the specific purpose of guarding the city's banner. The austere facade, almost devoid of decoration, helps to...

read more
Basilica of Our Lady of la Quercia

Basilica of Our Lady of la Quercia

Although the building was built only in the 16th century, Upper Lazio's devotion to Our Lady of la Quercia has its roots in the previous two centuries. Legend reports several miracles not all lost in the distant past: starting with the spontaneous bending of the...

read more
Church of Santa Maria della Peste in Viterbo

Church of Santa Maria della Peste in Viterbo

Now used as a shrine to the fallen, the deconsecrated church of Santa Maria della Peste was built between 1494 and 1501 by Paolo Mazzatosta and a mysterious Martino, a grain tanner, as inscriptions on the floor composed of brightly colored tiles inform us. It is most...

read more
Church of San Marco in Viterbo

Church of San Marco in Viterbo

A commemorative plaque testifies to the consecration of St. Marco's Church on December 1, 1198 by Pope Innocenzo III himself, accompanied by 15 of his cardinals. The church has a simple single-nave architecture, covered by a gabled roof to better suit the needs of the...

read more
Shrine of Saint Rosa of Viterbo

Shrine of Saint Rosa of Viterbo

The shrine of St. Rose, represents the heart of Viterbo's identity, so strong and pervasive is the population's veneration of the young saint. Originally the church of St. Mary, it was renamed St. Rosa in 1258 when Pope Alessandro IV had the saint's body moved there....

read more
Church of Santissima Trinità in Viterbo

Church of Santissima Trinità in Viterbo

An earlier church, with an adjoining convent, had been built around the middle of the 13th century and had been embellished with a fresco by Gregorio and Donato D'Arezzo of the Giotto school depicting the Virgin Mary. Chronicles from almost a century later report the...

read more
Convent of St. Francesco alla Rocca

Convent of St. Francesco alla Rocca

Slightly set back at the top of the slope of Piazza San Francesco in Viterbo, the convent's monumental complex is currently owned by the Province of Viterbo while the Basilica belongs to the Italian State. The friars, who have inhabited the entire complex since 1236,...

read more
Church of Santissima Trinità in Viterbo

Church of the Santissima Trinità

in the southern part of the city, just beyond Porta Romana, is the Church of the Santissima Trinità, also known as St. Amanzio's, to which is attached the building that once housed the long-deconsecrated Church of St. Charles. In 1476, by decision of the city, the...

read more

Pin It on Pinterest